203. Alliance Tower 2 LSC 7, Savita Vihar Delhi, 110092 India
About Us Career
If you are Planning a charming road trip then Chennai to Pondicherry might be one of the best routes for you. The union territory of Pondicherry has it all: serene, peaceful beaches and some interesting history to explore. Considering the coastal beaches, the best time to visit Pondicherry is between September to February. Another option is to visit during festive seasons like Pongal, Christmas, etc. which brings liveliness to the town with celebration bells and will fill you with joy and prosperity. A road trip via bike would be a perfect choice.
You can reach Pondicherry from Chennai by two routes.
NH32 - The journey through NH-32 will clock around 170 km for you.
NH48- It is another option to reach Pondicherry by road. Distance with this route extends to 204 km.
Reaching There And Places To Visit
You can reach Pondicherry within 3.5 to 4 hours by taking any of the above routes. The must-visit places of this trip are on your way as well as at Pondicherry too. The en-route beautiful journey will start here:
Places To Visit En- Route is:
1. Mahabalipuram – If you are a history buff, this place is a must-visit. You’ll not want to miss the temples and monuments built by the Pallava dynasty.
2.DakshinaChitra Heritage Museum- It is an open-air living history museum located in Muttukadu and dedicated to South Indian Heritage & Culture.
3. Cholamandal Artists’ Village- This is the largest artists’ commune in India. Their artists are credited for the Madras Movement of Art, which brought modernism to art in South India.
4. Crocodile Park - It is a zoo comprising crocodiles and other reptiles located in Mahabalipuram.
5. Muttukadu Boat House- If you’ve always wanted to do rowing, windsurfing, water skiing, or speed boat riding, this place is surely worth trying.
6. Alemparai Fort- This is a fascinating monument to visit. It has an interesting history that you’ll surely want to explore. You will have a lot of scenic views while riding bikes to a great extent.
Here is a list of places on the way that serves you mouth-watering food:
Kipling Cafe- Located around 30-40 kilometers from Chennai, it is an ideal place for couples to have a candlelight dinner or just spend some time together. The place is famous for its kebabs.
Shiraz Art Cafe- This restaurant is a great choice for indulging in Parsi cuisine.
Adyar Anand Bhavan- Around 120-130 km from Chennai, this is a haven for quintessential vegetarian South Indian food.
-Places To Visit After Reaching Pondicherry
1. Sri Aurobindo Ashram- It is arguably India’s most popular spiritual community. There are more than 400 buildings across Pondicherry where Ashramites live.
2. Botanical Garden- It is a garden built by French colonists on 22 acres with themed plots, an aquarium & train rides that will give you a tremendous view.
Lakeview & Elite-Inn are among the best places to stay and eat at Mahabalipuram. Mahabalipuram is the best stopover for trying delicious eateries and satisfying your taste buds on this trip. The place offers you authentic seafood as well as other delectable vegetarian and non-vegetarian delicacies.
Some famous markets over there are Joubert market and Sunday market where you can find home decor, fabrics, food items, etc. And don't try to miss visiting the famous fish market to have a delicious fish. One you should visit this mesmerizing and beyond beauty place.
Chennai is one of the most famous cities in Tamil Nadu. It plays an important role in the Tamil film industry. Chennai is one of the finest places; it is almost tops in everything. It is great for shopping if you are very much attracted to South Indian collections or even food. Chennai is very popular and is one of the safest places. But if you want to explore more of Tamil Nadu then you should plan a trip from Chennai to Pondicherry. But before that let’s point down all the important things about a trip.
Safety measures to carry while on a trip
Some important things that people tend to forget in the excitement of their trip. You should always carry these things with you because only you are at your rescue.
Road trip begins
The fastest and safest route you can take for this trip is the East Coast Road which will take almost 3-4 hours. You may start your journey at 8 o'clock so that you reach on time and have the rest of your day exploring. This trip will give you proper Tamilian vibes which will excite you even more. You will witness all the temples and beautiful infrastructures that will sweep you off your feet. You will also come across various beaches that will give you peace and make you feel very relaxed.
Once you reach Pondicherry you will notice how a place that once was a French Colony is now transformed into this beautiful city. Its French legacy is preserved and noticeable because of the French Quarter with tree-lined streets, mustard-colored colonial villas, etc. over the time Pondicherry has been transformed into a tourist place and so you have so many great places to stay. Hotels like Palais De Mahe, The Residency Towers, La Villa, etc, are some of the luxurious and comfortable stays. They are also equipped with free wifi, private parking lots, and a restaurant. Pondicherry is one of the best places you can ever plan a trip.
Foods to try in Pondicherry
Some of the places that are must try and should not be missed at any cost are:
Chennai to Pondicherry is one of the most exciting and loving trips. Do visit and don’t forget to share your experience.